LIFE Nuggets

The purpose of this blog is Essentially to Chronicle our personal faith journey and that of a place that we call LIFE House West. Why Life Nuggets? Because Nuggets bring to mind a sense of fun and enjoyment, show me a child who is sad when they get to eat chicken nuggets..... Things like life, and following Jesus should be fun and we want to explore those things in a light hearted and fun way, so please, enjoy...

Name:
Location: Hagerstown, Maryland, United States

30 years old, married, Father of four children (2 boys, 2 girls) 2 cats and 3 dogs (black lab, english bulldog, and pug)

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Jesus and Bono

Once again welcome back to LIFE Nuggets! I was working last night in the building on Salem Avenue and I found myself removing nails from old flooring. The nails were old and rather rusty. They were hard to see on a black subfloor. I had to laugh when as I ran my gloved hands over the floor looking for nails, that U2 was playing and Bono was singing "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." It was kind of a humurous moment. Maybe it is just being alone in the building and singing to myself at a time like that which makes it funny, in any event, I laughed.

Then it got me thinking. Alot of people listen to the lyrics of that song and condemn it as blasphemy. I used to unitl I began to think about it. The lyrics of the last verse speak of a relationship or a spiritual encounter with Christ. Then the chorus again plays. Many people have said that it means that the sacrifice of Jesus was not enough and that Bono is saying that he has not found what will bring him fulfillment. As a kid I can remember people in Sunday schools roundly condemning the evils of secular music and the messages that it preaches. I had to watch a video on that kind of stuff once. It had that strange, kind of evil music playing in the background as the narrator spoke of the evil in these songs. Now, I do have a problem with alot of modern secular music, one because of the message, and two because alot of it has little or no originality, I find it hard to get into alot of modern, or should I say, popular music. We need to make sure that we are filling our minds with good stuff, and I think that I can safely say that "Smack Dat" is not going to be a church anthem anytime soon.

But back to this U2 song. It raises an interesting observation. It almost seems like we can somtimes rely on a past experience to keep us going. Now, let me be clear, I do not think that Jesus has to die for us every day, nor do I think that this idea cheapens what our Lord did for us. Rather, I understand that because God is living and active, I cannot just float through life and not pursue him. Once we begin our relationship with Jesus, we become followers. Sometimes I think that as we pursue the presence of God and what he has that we sometimes forget him.

Perhaps that is what Bono is talking about. I don't know, I may be totally off on the interpretation of the song. Paul talks about pressing onward to the goal of the high calling of Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:13-14). I am reminded of that when I listen to this song. That through all that I have come through, the journey is not over. God is not finished with me , I am not a hopeless case, but rather what Jesus did for me started a journey, it changed the music and rythem of my life and now I am looking for him. To spend time with him every day, to find him in the ordinary things of life, to give him to others, and some day to spend my eternity with him. That journey is new every day and on this side of life I cannot wear it out, nor can I complete the process. God will do that. In eternity, I will find what I am looking for. Till then, perhaps there is some credence to the song. Just a thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey said...

Would it be possible to make U2 the unofficial band of LHW? That would make me very happy.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Bard said...

I've always loved the music of U2, and you can find Christian references in most of there songs.

However, Bono has often shied away from describing the meaning of his lyrics, and has suggested that the songs of U2 shouldn’t be limited to one meaning. It would be like considering the difference between a dream and reality. Reality might only have one correct interpretation, but a dream can be interpreted many different ways. I’m not sure if this analogy really works, but hopefully you get the point.

As for my personal take on "I Still Haven't found What I'm Looking For,” I’ve always thought that the song was a great commentary on Christian culture. In the final verse, it emphatically says that he believes that God has already done the work to pay for our sins, but there is a difference between believing and accepting.

The Bible tell us that even the demons believe in God (James 2:19), but belief is not enough, we must also receive him into our lives (John 1:12).

In our “Christian” nation most people will admit that they believe in God. Most people will say that they understand these things in there “mind,” but the real question is, do we understand who God is in our hearts?

I suppose this problem can also be reversed: understanding in our hearts and not our minds.

So what is Bono really saying? We don’t know, it’s open for interpretation, and I guess he wants it that way.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home