LIFE Nuggets

The purpose of this blog is Essentially to Chronicle our personal faith journey and that of a place that we call LIFE House West. Why Life Nuggets? Because Nuggets bring to mind a sense of fun and enjoyment, show me a child who is sad when they get to eat chicken nuggets..... Things like life, and following Jesus should be fun and we want to explore those things in a light hearted and fun way, so please, enjoy...

Name:
Location: Hagerstown, Maryland, United States

30 years old, married, Father of four children (2 boys, 2 girls) 2 cats and 3 dogs (black lab, english bulldog, and pug)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas

Man, it seems like Christmas has gotten here so fast this year. I have spent the day (along with one of the other guys on the team) handing out Christmas greeting door hangers to the neighborhood. If you are reading the blog because of that, welcome, I am glad that you stopped by. Feel free to read previous posts for more about myself and LIFE House West.

We only have a few more flyers to pass out, so when they are all out I feel like my "Christmas Festivities" can begin. I would like to, however, start with something that I think would be fun. Sharing Christmas memories. Either form childhood, or adulthood, it does not matter. You can post them in the comment section of the blog. it would be cool to share events that have made Christmas special for you.

I will start. There are so many that it is difficult to pick but I would have to say that having a child who is born in December (our youngest Samuel) is pretty cool. His birthday is two weeks before Christmas he reminds us every year of what a precious gift life is. He just turned one year old and this time is just so great because he, like our other three children is so full of life and enjoment of the season. We love to take our four kids and go out driving and look at all the Christmas lights. We listen to the same Christmas songs over and over (Veggi Tales Christmas) and drink coffee and hot chocolate. It is popbably my favorite thing to do around Christmas time with my family.

I know that it is not what may have been expected, people may have thought that I would have some great sermon or spiritual thought, so I will throw in a little nugget. We should remember first the gift God gave us by sending us his son Jesus. I do not want to just lecture on this everyone on this from some type of strange political stance. Christmas is about Jesus! Not just a church experience, or some religious article but a living breathing Jesus who came into this world and showed us a better way to live. When we trust him we not only get to go to heaven, we also have the opportunity to start over here. I know that many people tend to say that Jesus is the "reason for the season," sadly, many of those people can be the ones that get the grouchiest around Christmas. Look at the news, Christmas has become a time for confrontation, if we allow ourselves, we can miss the beauty of the message.

The message is that life can be new again. To me, each gift we open on Christmas represents the eternal newness that God wants for our lives. We do not have to live as if life is just mundane. We can wake up each day and realize that God wants us to experience him new each day. The gife of encountering God afresh through Christ daily cannot be worn out. This Christmas, I pray that as you enjoy family, friends, food, and fun, rediscover a relationship with God all over again. I am personally taking time to do this I hope you will to.....

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

PJ

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister & I have always been extremely close. Now that she goes to college in Virginia, (about 2 hours away) this time of year is even more special to me. We've had plenty of memories about Christmas time and just as many about my birthday (New Years Eve).

However, the best memory I have has to be this. When I was about 7 and my sister was about 3. We were riding home from our Great-Grandmother's house on Christmas Eve. We lived near the Hagerstown airport, so hearing airplanes flying overhead normally didn't even register in our minds.

Well we were about a quarter-mile from home when I happened to look out the window and saw, what I now know was a RED wing light of a plane. I thinks it obvious what we thought it was ;-) To this day, if the subject is brought up, my parents still say, "I have never seen two kids get ready for bed faster, on Christmas Eve."

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Id have to say that the best Christmas memory for me is still unfolding. As a new follower of Christ I am writing new pages of true Christmas spirit and memories everyday. While there are plenty of childhood Christmas remembrances, the ones that are beginning to blossom today and this holiday season are the most enjoyable in the sense of Christianity. I get it now and that is what makes this so special. God has brought me to a place and placed me with certain people that will ensure the best Christmas ever. Merry Christmas to all.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home